Friday, January 25, 2013

I'm no Michelle Kwan



I will rise up each time I fall

When I arrived home yesterday I discovered that somebody had replaced my driveway with an ice-skating rink.  Seeing as how my figure skates are currently in the shop I decided the best course of action was to grab a shovel and start scraping.





While I was attempting to clear the driveway I got a phone call from my friend.  We joked around about how ridiculous the weather was and just as he was explaining to me the various meteorological conditions that accounted for the freezing rain I dropped the phone and my feet flew out from underneath me.I struggled for several seconds to get off my knees and retrieve the phone.  It was not my finest moment but I finally got back on my feet.  I decided to retreat to the warmth of indoors and the relative safety of carpeted floors. 

http://www.modernjediknight.com/wpblog/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/11679.jpgWalking the path of my personal truth is not an easy journey.  I often come across difficult circumstances, obstacles that block my way, and stretches of road that are treacherous.  Having my feet slip out from under me and taking a few falls is to be expected.  The key is not to avoid ever falling, but to rise back up when I do.

This picture of Kanji writing is a Japanese proverb that when translated means, fall down seven times get up eight.  In any difficult journey there will be times of struggle.  Daring to make changes and reaching to realize my potential can only be thwarted if I fail to get back up when I fall.  I will make mistakes. I will slip and fall. Each time I do I will get to my feet, dust myself off and trudge on. 

No comments:

Post a Comment