Sunday, April 7, 2013

Sandy Shoes (Guest Post - Eric)


 I am excited to introduce today's guest post by Eric - my older brother, exemplar, supporter, and friend. 

When I was as a young Boy Scout, one of my favorite places to camp was at the Little Sahara Sand Dunes.  I remember playing touch football for hours at night, running barefoot in the cooling sand with only the moon for light.   When I got home I poured buckets of sand out of my shoes, but I didn’t care, I had so much fun.
This month my sons’ Boy Scout troop went camping at some sand dunes near the Little Sahara.  I got off work early on Friday to meet them there. They didn’t go to the regular campgrounds that I remember, but to one further away, one without all of the ATVs zooming around.
The one downside to their out-of-the-way campsite was the quarter mile dirt road that I had to take to get there.  At first the gravel road was decent, but soon the dips got bigger and bigger.  I was doing well, taking it easy until I turned a corner and came upon deep, loose sand.  Before I knew it I was stuck.  I got out, dismayed to see the front tires deep in sand.  I wanted to push it or dig it out myself, but it was soon obvious that I couldn’t do it alone.  I swallowed my pride and trekked the rest of the way to the camp to ask for help.  The scouts came over but were unsuccessfully in digging or pushing me out.  Luckily one of the scout leaders had a big truck, so he hooked up a strap and pulled me out.
I had a great time at the camp.  I enjoyed the sunny spring weather in the desert and the natural beauty there.  In the morning we broke camp and got ready to leave.  I was a little nervous about driving out, but this time knew what to do.  After starting the car, I sped up, got some good momentum and just kept driving.  I could see where I got stuck before and I drove around it.  It was a bumpy ride, but I made it to the paved road without incident. 

This experience gave me a lot to think about and things that I can affirm for myself:
1.       Spinning my wheels in the proverbial sand gets me nowhere.
2.       Some problems I can’t get out of by myself.
3.       People will help when I’m humble enough to ask for it. 
4.       I can learn from previous pitfalls and know how to avoid them. 
5.       I don’t get stuck when I maintain momentum. 
6.       Sometimes I just need to get sand in my shoes and have fun.

5 comments:

  1. What a great set of affirmations! I feel like I can echo all of those sentiments for myself. I know that #3 is something that all of us in the family struggle with even though we know that any one of us would drop everything and lend a hand if only we would ask. I have always love your writing, thanks for the post!

    Love you bro!
    Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post. I love how this affirmation along with so many of the affirmations take ordinary life occurrences and bring meaning and purpose to them. I like to think that life is a collection of meaningful experiences, our task is to find the meaning and purpose in these otherwise ordinary experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Goes to show how many lessons we can take away from a situation if we're open to it. Thanks for your affirmations Eric!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have always appreciated your ability to tell a story Eric. Your thoughtfulness and insight gives me things to think about and most of all I appreciate how it is always delivered from a place of compassion. Thank you for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your post made me think of another camping trip involving sand...and fish dropped in the sand. Love you Canfields!

    ReplyDelete