Sunday, March 31, 2013

Quieting the tornado (Guest Post - Ruth)



I am happy to introduce another guest poster today.  Ruth LaDart has been keeping a family blog for several years.  She is also an incredibly talented artist with a needle and thread and recently started sharing her handmade children's blankets that she designs at snuglyfriends.blogspot.com.  Ruth is my sister and the first person I turned to for advice when I decided to enter the blogosphere.  I am deeply appreciative of her continued support and willingness to share in my journey.



When I quiet my mind, I see things with more clarity

I was excited and immediately anxious when asked to write a guest post. My mind has been a disorganized mess trying to extract an affirmation. The more I thought about affirmations, the more I doubted I had anything substantial to offer.

image source: http://www.stormchasing.ca/
I struggle with indecisiveness. Even when I make a choice, I often find the doubt creeping in that I could have made a better call, or I should have gone in a different direction. If you could see my mind it would resemble a tornado; a dizzy, churning mess. It's no wonder I hesitate with decisions, especially when my thoughts are all over the place.

When my mind is focused on a task and it slows down a bit, I have a much different viewpoint. Sitting today and sewing, my affirmation came to me, and rather than change my mind a dozen different times (which I had up to that point) I knew I struck the issue I needed to address.

Sitting and talking with Clair yesterday, we commented on how uncomplicated a young person's mind works. There aren't years of catalogs that muddle their heads and bamboozle their thoughts. While my mind may not process things as minimally as a child's does, I can slow it down by focusing on what's at hand. When I focus on one thing at a time, the other thoughts swirling in my head are quieted. I am my best for myself and others when my mind is clear and free from unrelated distractions.

I will take time to quiet my mind and focus on things independently.

1 comment:

  1. This is a fantastic description of how crazy it feels when I get in those same spots where I feel uncertain. What often happens is I finally just throw my hands up in exasperation and just go with one of the choices without feeling any sense of certainty about it. Thank you for the reminder to slow down, breathe, and free my mind from all the distractions that keep me from focusing.

    Wonderful affirmation!

    ReplyDelete