Thursday, April 4, 2013

Care Bear



I am making myself a priority

The past week has been intense for me. I have felt myself straining to stay ahead of the avalanche of grading I need to complete that threatens to bury me. I have felt stress and struggled through some vulnerability.  My time and energy seem to be in short supply. More than once this week I have completely missed a meal.  Yesterday I grabbed something quick to eat for breakfast and by the time I got around to eating again it was past 4. I developed a headache and I started to feel a little grouchy. As my family and friends can attest I am not nearly as amicable when I get hungry "Clair Bear" takes on new meaning as more than just a joking nickname.

Not eating regularly, exercising, or sleeping are always red flags for me that I am not taking good care of myself. The problem for me is that I do not properly prioritize my own self-care. 

If more than one thing comes into contention over where I spend my time or energy, I am likely to choose the thing that I value more highly. When I skip lunch and choose to do something instead of meeting even my basic needs I am devaluing myself and detracting from my feelings of worth. Today I choose to give attention to my self-care and recognize I am worthy of making myself a priority.


What do you need in order to properly care for yourself today?

2 comments:

  1. I've found myself struggling with this same thing over the years. It feels selfish or unecessary to put myself and my needs before others, but if someone else were in my shoes, I would want them to take that time for themselves. I forget the benefits of balancing my needs with those of my kids, spouse, family, and friends.

    Thanks for the reminder that I'm important and shouldn't neglect my needs. I think now is a good time to squeeze in a workout.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice! I hope that you had a great workout. It is inspiring to me that you were able to recognize that need and then you immediately did something about it. Putting these affirmations into practice is where they really start to make a difference on a daily basis. Thanks for being such a great example!

      Delete