Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Opening more than my ears



I am listening with my heart

I had a conversation this morning about housework issues that is a familiar one.  Although the content was not new the underlying issues are wrapped in strong emotions that make it hard to untangle and come to a shared understanding.  I have been thinking about how I listened and I can see that I missed some important things that were said.  The Chinese symbol 'to listen' is made up of several separate characters to express what it means. I was so focused on expressing my own emotions and being protective of myself that I was unable to truly listen with my eyes, ears, heart and undivided attention.  I am happy that I was able to be expressive, and I also have disappointment that I was not more sensitive and attentive. 

It is the most important, and also the most difficult, for me to change unhealthy patterns that I have established in my long term relationships.  When I recognize those patterns I can institute positive change by my willingness to take accountability and work on making improvements.  Today I will listen from my heart so that I will hear the desires and needs that are beyond the words being spoken.   

  

2 comments:

  1. I read all of your posts and particularily liked this one. How true it is that we often listen but do not understand. Thanks for the reminder to listen with my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing! It is something I have to remind myself of often.

    ReplyDelete