Saturday, January 26, 2013

Rollin', rollin', rollin'




I am building positive momentum towards my goals

When I was about 8 our house had a basketball hoop nailed to the garage above our driveway. I liked shooting baskets despite barely being able to get the ball above the rim. The family truck was often parked in that part of the driveway so my dad would have to move it whenever I wanted to play. It was a stick shift and I had frequently watched him push on the clutch, put it in neutral and just let it roll slowly down the gradual slope of the cement without ever turning it on. 

One summer day I decided I wanted to shoot some hoops. My dad was at work and I figured I could just back up the truck myself. I pushed in the clutch, popped it in neutral and let it start to roll backwards. When it looked like I had enough room to play I let off the clutch, but to my chagrin the truck did not stop. It kept rolling and I had no idea why. I tried pushing on the brake but nothing happened. As my speed and momentum increased so too did my panic. I didn't know what to do. I gripped the steering wheel and closed my eyes as I rolled out of the driveway and right into the street. I felt my body jerk when I rammed into the gutter on the far side of the street. The truck was blocking one lane of traffic and after watching one or two cars swerve around me someone mercifully stopped to help. I was fortunate not to have been hit, but by now all I had on my mind was how I was going to get myself out of this mess without being caught by my parents.  With an offer from the man who stopped to help me get the truck out of the street I ran into the house and asked my mother ever so casually where the truck keys where. 

"Why?" My mother asked. 
"Oh, no reason..."


I did not make it out of that situation without detection or consequence but it has reminded me today of the power of momentum. For example, depending on conditions an average size train can take upwards of a mile to stop once the engineer fully applies the brakes. Once something like patterns of behavior are set in motion it can require enormous counter measures to slow down or change directions.  If I have negative patterns in my life that have been repeated frequently I need to do more than merely wish things were different and tap on the brakes once or twice. I must have the willingness to fully commit to the process. Once the brakes are fully applied it is then possible to do the work necessary to change direction.  I can also use this principle to recognize that I can build positive momentum as well.  That momentum can create excitement when I feel myself moving with purpose towards accomplishing my goals and realizing my full potential. Today I am building positive momentum.

3 comments:

  1. I loved this post. Keep going forward!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Colin Chapman, one of the greatest race car designers of all time famously quipped when asked how he competes in small 4 cylinder cars with the Ferrari's and their big V-12 engines: "Adding power makes you faster in the straights, subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere." That comment is all about momentum, carrying it, accelerating, decelerating, making it change directions...and it applies to life too. We think Newton's laws don't apply to emotional life but the weight of guilt, stress, anger, grudges prevent ourselves, OUR BEING, from being able to change directions. That weight makes it nearly impossible to stop the inertia of our bad habits. Take the weight of all the stuff we carry that we have no control over and remove it and our emotional life becomes nimble and able to react well and appropriately to almost any situation. Then we start to build that positive momentum that can carrys us through the curves of life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a fantastic analogy! Thank you for such an insightful and beautifully expressed contribution.

      Delete