Friday, March 22, 2013

Stand tall



I rise to the occasion and the full stature of who I am becoming

I am 37 years old, 6'3" and weigh in around 220 pounds. There are times when I feel more like I am 10 years old or 6 inches tall than what I see reflected in the mirror. When I am in certain situations or with particular people I shrink, I revert back to places I left long ago but that return instantly. A place where I felt frightened, alone, incapable, abandoned and small. I feel like a child and I am likely to act like one as well. I feel myself shrinking into defensiveness, losing my voice and confidence, reliving old wounds and taking on roles and behaviors that I thought I had grown out of.  

I no longer fit in those places. As I continue on my path I recognize that even when I travel a road that may seem familiar to experiences from the past, I am no longer who I was then. I have grown emotionally, spiritually, and mentally just as I have physically. When confronted with those old familiar places I will not shrink but rise to the measure and stature I have earned through the hard work of lessons learned well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment