Monday, March 25, 2013

Crazy making



I embrace the uncertainty of change

In the midst of the change process I have found moments, hours, sometimes days where nothing seems to make any sense. Although I am committed to making positive changes the process of that change often leaves me feeling unbalanced. 

Cordova Bay, AK canffirmations.blogspot.com
When my parents were living in Alaska I was introduced to deep sea halibut fishing. After spending almost a full day out on the boat we got home and started cleaning the fish. I hopped in the shower to clean up and I had the distinct feeling of being back on the boat. My inner ear was accustomed to the constant rocking of the boat and even though I was back on solid ground I felt shaky. I had to lean against the wall and steady myself to avoid falling over in the shower. 

Making changes to patterns that I have become used to over many years is not likely to happen without some disorientation. If I try to wrap my arms around the chaos and try to control it I may find myself feeling not just unbalanced but a little crazy. If I persist in those attempts to force my will on the process I am more likely to slide back into old patterns. I will embrace the change process and let go of my need to control it. In time my equilibrium will return and I will find myself standing on more solid ground.

"All great changes are preceded by chaos" -- Deepak Chopra


No comments:

Post a Comment