Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Yay mistakes!



I am sharing the gift of my mistakes

I had a fantastic conversation with a friend yesterday that allowed me to understand some of the things he is currently experiencing. This understanding came because of my own past mistakes and the emotions we have both experienced. Afterwards I was sitting quietly in thought and I was surprised at how I was feeling. My chest and face were warm like it feels when basking in the sun of a clear spring afternoon. I had a feeling of being connected even though I was in solitude. Most of all I had a feeling of worth and value.

Mistakes can teach powerful lessons and I have had a few doozies that have taught me hard and well. After learning from them I usually prefer to tuck those experiences away and keep them out of sight and hopefully out of mind. I certainly do not want to openly share them with others. During that conversation I dusted a few off and when I brought them out and shared them I could see a hidden beauty that I had not noticed before. When I am willing to be vulnerable with my imperfections and share the lessons of my mistakes I can start to see how nothing is wasted in this life.  No matter what I have gone through and how much I may want to forget it, my experiences can help others.

The help is not going to come because I have some deep wisdom with the answers to all their problems. The answers I have gained from those experiences are my own and although I may share what I have learned everyone must walk their own path. The answers of value to any question come from within and are hard won. The way I am able to help others is by showing up and being vulnerable with my story. As I listened to his story I was reminded what it is like to step into the darkness of the unknown, filled with doubt, wondering if there is a way through.  Sharing my story is a light in the darkness. It does not always show the way out, but it shows that we are not alone and that others have walked the path before us. 

My mistakes give me the gift of wisdom when I choose to learn from them. Those experiences from my mistakes can continue to give, when I am willing to share my story with others.  

No comments:

Post a Comment