Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Alone in a Crowd



I am willing to reach out and be open when I need connection with others

Yesterday I had dinner with several of my siblings to indirectly celebrate one of my sister's birthday. She is not a big fan of making a big deal out of it so when one of the servers asked what occasion brought us all together (I have a lot of siblings, nieces, nephews...) he looked a bit surprised and confused when we said it was to celebrate tax day. 

I was surrounded by people I know love me for who I am, and yet I felt disconnected and alone. The isolation was not because I was sitting at the end of the table, or because I am unable to be authentic around them, but it was because I was withdrawn and unwilling to reach out. I had ample opportunity to take advantage of support and understanding but there are times when I need to take the first step in being real and asking for what I need. Being connected is not about being around people, but rather the process of willingly showing up and letting myself be seen. 

Looking back at some of my previous posts and reflecting on my journey has highlighted for me some of the key lessons I have to learn. I can see that I often have themes that continue to pop up that I need to address. I frequently have to learn the same lesson several times before it begins to sink in. I can see that recognizing my needs and being courageous enough to reach out for help when I need it is an important lesson and that I must continue to make that a part of my daily practice. Yesterday I kept to myself and lost that important opportunity to truly connect. Today I will take advantage of those opportunities and reach out for the connection I need. 

What do you need today in order to feel connected?

8 comments:

  1. Today I needed to connect with myself, which I was fortunate to have the time to do. For me, if I'm not connected with myself...it's really hard to put myself out there to connect with others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great insight Jackie, I can see that is often part of the problem I have with connecting. Thanks for the comment!

      Delete
  2. I knew something was off yesterday, and I failed to ask you what it was. For that, I'm sorry Clair.

    As important as it is to reach out to others, it's equally important to recognize that need and hesitation in others and meet them halfway sometimes. I missed out on a great opportunity yesterday to connect with you. I hope to recall on that experience as a reminder to make a greater effort when a similar situation presents itself again.

    Love you Clair!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ruth, love you too! I knew you were available but I kept myself guarded. I always appreciate how sensitive you are to the emotions of others and your willingness to reach out.

      Delete
  3. I always love seeing your face in the crowd that I am in. I Love you bro!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your willingness to show up and be seen in this post. It really struck a chord with me because I often feel isolated when in crowds. I realize now that I've been unwilling to reach out and make the connections I crave. Although the thought of opening up is frightening, I appreciate that you've started me thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your willingness to comment Amanda. I am never sure if what I experience is completely different from what others go through until I put myself out there. I usually find that not only am I not alone but that being vulnerable allows others to feel safe to connect with me.

      Delete