Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Lowering the Walls



I am breaking down the walls that imprison me

Life brings to everyone painful experiences that can leave deep wounds. When I feel hurt my first reaction is to protect myself. I may build walls as an attempt to keep me safe from feeling those pains again. 

A betrayal can lead me to build a wall of suspicion and distrust of all. Disappointment may suggest I should protect myself by extinguishing hope. In the beginning I may hate those walls and feel victimized by the unfairness of my circumstances. I might then learn to accept them as necessary and begin to view the world as a cruel place. Finally I may rely on them as the only way I have learned to live. 

Instead of protection to keep out the pain the walls I build can imprison me. Even when I have been hurt I can choose how I will define the experiences that shape me. I can break the walls down that keep me from experiencing all that life has to offer.

"The walls we build around us to keep sadness out also keeps out the joy" -- Jim Rohn

5 comments:

  1. Good thoughts. Reminds me of the Simon and Garfunkel "I Am an Island" tune.
    "I've built walls,
    A fortress deep and mighty,
    That none may penetrate.
    I have no need of friendship; friendship causes pain.
    It's laughter and it's loving I disdain."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love songs that connect to my own emotional experiences, even the sad ones...

      Delete
  2. The lights go out, I am all alone
    All the trees outside are buried in the snow
    I spend my night dancing with my own shadow
    And it holds me and it never lets me go
    Of Monsters & Men...I can completely identify with self protecting and building walls and withdrawing into self where it feels safe. This song spoke to me about being alone inside "the walls" and trying to push past the fears and let go and be vulnerable. Thought I would share. I recommend you check out the whole song called "SLow and Steady" if you haven't heard it.











    Buy "Slow And Steady" on


    Google PlayiTunesAmazonMP3




    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing. I like that band, they have several songs that really resonate with me. Once those walls of protection are built it can be difficult to dismantle them and even though I falsely think they keep me safe it is soooo lonely behind them.

      Delete
    2. No problem. I thought you would like them. :) It is soooo lonely behind the walls, but some how I can never get past thinking that no one could understand my experiences and "monsters in my head". There is nothing worse than sharing an experience and then get nothing in return but a blank stare or nervous laugh. I have been there before and it sucks!

      Delete