Friday, February 22, 2013

Keep shut when not in use



I am not defined by my past

I am 6'3" living in a house that was not built with me in mind.  The basement door frames are 6'2" high and anytime I forget that fact I am given a painful reminder.  It has become second nature to duck whenever I go through a door even when I am not at home.  Much worse than the doors however is a cupboard that was built directly above the bathroom toilet.  It is convenient for keeping toiletries in but can also be a nuisance.  With the cupboard open I am roughly eye-level with the second shelf, and more than once I have slammed my head into it when getting up from using the toilet. One of those instances had me seeing stars and left a nasty goose egg.

At times it can be useful to look into the past.  When I get discouraged it may be useful to glance back and see the progress I have made.  I might also need to look back to have perspective on past choices and the lessons learned from them.  When I look back I might be reminded that I have come through difficult challenges and can do hard things.  I might even see mistakes I want to avoid in the future and make amends for.  Each of these reasons and more can be a useful reason for opening the door on the past.  However, it is important after each opening to again close the door.  Lingering on past mistakes distracts my focus from the present.  Living in regret hinders the accomplishment of my current goals.  Pining for memories of the past that are often conveniently rewritten, blocks my ability to feel joy.  Leaving the door of resentment and painful wounds open can even leave me stuck reliving and recreating them again and again.

I need my past to teach me, focus me, remind me, and guide me. I also need it to stay firmly shut where it should be, in the past.  My past does not define me unless I leave the door open when not in use. 

No comments:

Post a Comment