Sunday, February 3, 2013

Choose your own adventure



I make careful and confident choices


http://jonverzosa.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/choose-your-own-adventure.jpg
When I was a boy I loved when the book mobile would come to our school.  It was like a library on wheels and when I had the chance to check out a book I would often pick out a "choose your own adventure" book.  The stories are usually a mystery or adventure where as the story progresses you encounter a situation where a choice has to be made.  I liked how it felt as if I was in the story because of the chance to determine which way the story would go.

Depending on the choice you make you are directed to a specific page and the story continues. Sometimes the choices lead you to a happy and heroic ending, but other choices have disastrous consequences.  When I read the books and did not like the outcomes I would sometimes skip to the back of the book, find the ending I liked, and then work backwards to make the right choices and get the happy ending.




In my life I get to choose my own adventure, but there is no cheating backwards to get the results I want. My task is to learn to make choices I am confident with regardless of what the outcome may be, intended or otherwise. If I approach each choice thoughtfully and make decisions that are true to my authentic self, I can maintain my path of personal truth and learn from whatever consequences those choices bring.   

2 comments:

  1. We may not get to take a mulligan or reverse engineer our life, but we always have the opportunity to learn from a mistake and that does alter the outcome, or at least its legacy.

    We can call this "Schroedinger's Adventure". The observation of the lesson in the adventure alters it's outcome and effect on our lives.

    Now if I can just make the Skinner Box relevant to emotional maturation...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the idea of mistakes leaving a legacy of learning. Framing them in such a way removes some of the sting that inevitably comes along with the mistake. Thank you for the comment!

      Delete