Thursday, March 7, 2013

Part of the herd





I am at my strongest when I stand with those I trust


An adult wolf weighs an average of 85-100 lbs. When wolves hunt in packs they are capable of bringing down prey over 10 times their own body weight. They have a very systematic process in hunting large prey.  After locating it they stalk the herd carefully by concealing their approach so that they can get as close as possible to their quarry.  Once the wolves are detected the prey can choose to approach, flee, or stand ground.  The wolves require the stimulus of a fleeing animal to attack.  They try to create fear and attempt to isolate a single animal running from the herd and then work together to bring it down.  In any situation the greatest chance of survival for the prey is to stand ground.

It is by working together that wolves are able to survive. On the other side of the equation the animals they hunt are safest when they stand together. Musk Ox, one of the wolves prey, form a protective ring around their young.  The wolves work together to try and disrupt the herd.  If one of the animals panics and tries to run, or breaks rank in an attempt to take on the wolves alone, they are attacked by the pack and eventually brought down. Even the small or weak members of the herd are safe, so long as they stick together.

Tonight I had a powerful experience sharing some of my current struggles with several people I trust.  For awhile I kept it to myself, but when I decided to ask for help by talking things through I received an outpouring of support. It was difficult to be vulnerable and talk about the challenges I am facing.  When I finally did, I went from feeling afraid and weak to feeling empowered and focused. The strength lent to me by others was exactly what was needed at that moment.

I can't go it alone or I will never survive. When I stay connected and rely on others I stay safe, and I have a strength well beyond my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment