Friday, March 1, 2013

I like to go fast!



I am facing my problems

Today I unknowingly found myself in a high-speed freeway chase. After a lot of snowy and cold days this past month I was able to enjoy some warmer weather today.  While riding my bike on I-15 I noticed the car in front of me begin to break and pull over rapidly into the left hand emergency lane for no clear reason.  I adjusted my mirror and noticed flashing lights and at that moment began to hear a siren.   

Apparently a peace officer had been attempting to bring to my attention that I was traveling at a rate of speed designated as unlawful.  Because my mirror has a tendency to shake loose from the vibrations of my bike at high speeds I was unaware that I was being followed.  When the officers approached my vehicle the sheriff said, "did you not see us or hear the sirens? I've been following you for 2 miles."  I was somewhat surprised by the question and told her that I didn't know they were there until the car in front of me started to pull over.  She took my license and went back to the vehicle.  After a few minutes I noticed the other officer was standing a couple of feet behind me.  I apologized for not pulling over immediately and told him that she seemed annoyed that they had to follow me for awhile.  "Yeah, we thought you were running so we called it in as a car chase.  About 3 or 4 other police were on the way."  

Though it was not my intention, I was running from my problems.  My bike goes pretty fast in comparison to the big SUV the police were using but it certainly does not go faster than the speed of a police radio.  Whether big or small trying to run from problems does not seem to work.  If I try to avoid one problem it can easily multiply into something bigger.  I imagine that if I had kept going and they had not called off the other police joining in the chase, I would have received more than a speeding violation.  When I face my problems and take accountability for them it develops integrity and helps me be true to my authentic self.  Problems sometimes provide opportunity, some hold lessons, and others may allow me to develop strength and resilience.  Today I will face my problems directly and avoid complicating them through running away.  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment