Saturday, January 12, 2013

The key to instant weightloss!



I shake free of the chains that would bind me

If I pause and reflect I can sometimes see that many of the heavy burdens I carry with me each day are self-imposed. I have wrapped myself tightly with chains of shame, self-doubt, and unhealthy patterns. Perhaps I carry with me fear, the weight of past mistakes, or an inability to forgive myself and others. 



I am reminded of an example a good friend shared with me about the training of circus elephants.  She explained to me how the trainers are able to maintain control over these massive creatures by enforcing upon them at an early age the idea that whenever they have a chain around their ankle it is useless to resist. When these elephants are in their infancy, their “breaking in” program begins.  The elephant is first shackled between two tree trunks or a wooden frame where it is unable to move.  The elephant will struggle but eventually fear, pain, hunger and thirst lead to giving up all resistance.  Once the elephant relents and stops resisting, the “initiation stage” is complete.  The elephant has accepted a fate that it believes it can never escape, and then the real work of training the elephant for whatever lies ahead begins.  As the elephant continues to grow to adulthood, it fails to realize the power and strength it has amassed.  The elephant still believes that when it is shackled by the leg, resistance is futile and escape is not possible. The shackles in its' mind are stronger at this point than any physical chains it may carry.
 image source: http://www.px2.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Elephant-chains-latest-1024x680.png
The chains I have allowed to take up residence in my mind are far more powerful than any external circumstances I may be faced with.  How often have I stayed shackled because I've built my own watchtowers and placed sentinels their to convince myself that escape is not possible.
I hold the keys to undo the locks and set myself free.  As I loosen them from around me I feel lighter, stronger, and able to face whatever challenges await me.  Life is difficult enough without dragging around heavy chains that limit me and undermine my potential.  I am capable of walking my path and accomplishing what I set out to do.  Today I will shake off the chains that would bind me and walk free.  

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the encouraging comments!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a really interesting post, as I'm currently studying Cognitive Behavioral Therapy in one of my classes right now. And the reminder of our thoughts as chains, which are ways to hold us back or keep us from changing whatever is going on in that moment... pretty powerful. And wicked hard, sometimes, to unlock those chains.

    Thank you for posting and giving me a lot to think about!

    Stephanie D.

    ReplyDelete