Sunday, January 6, 2013

For the silent and tone-deaf




I have a voice and I am sharing it

What makes a chorus so powerful and moving is the way each voice and sound blends together.  No one part is favored but it is a flow of voices moving together in an intricate dance that creates a whole far greater than any of its' parts. If a voice is silenced, sings too loudly, or tries to sing a part other than it's own it creates a cacophony of noise instead of music. 

I have an important role and my voice is irreplaceable.  I have unique abilities and talents that make me a crucial part of my relationships, workplace, community, family, church, and everywhere that I am interconnected with others.  I am not meant to mimic someone else, be silenced, or to scream out just to be noticed.  I will recognize the importance of my voice, find my part, and share it harmoniously.

 Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent.  ~Victor Hugo


2 comments:

  1. I am irreplaceable. I like that quote. It reminds me of my favorite line in Brian Selznick's book, Hugo Cabret:

    “I like to imagine that the world is one big machine. You know, machines never have any extra parts. They have the exact number and type of parts they need. So I figure if the entire world is a big machine, I have to be here for some reason. And that means you have to be here for some reason, too.”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great line Eric! I think that idea is particularly important for me when I start to get lost in my small story of my day to day problems instead of seeing the big picture that I'm a part of. Thanks for sharing that.

      Delete