Wednesday, December 26, 2012

!@*# & Ice cream



I take time for what matters
A few months ago I taught my oldest child curse words.  She just started first grade and she had several times asked about what the bad words are.  My thinking was that it would be better for her to hear them in context, understand what they mean, and some reasons for not using them rather than have them come from a classmate.  I can still recall an experience in sixth grade when I spent most of the day calling everyone a bastard because I had heard it on a movie and thought it sounded cool. 
I decided to take her out on a daddy-daughter date and get some ice cream so I could answer all of her curse word related questions.  She started by asking what the A word was.  I told her what it was, explained what it meant and why it is a swear word.  She seemed to be enjoying it and next asked what the B word was. I had to explain to her after a few letters that their isn't a curse word for every letter in the alphabet.  We went and made our own ice cream concoctions at the store and then headed home.  It probably only lasted 30 minutes but she has brought up our "ice cream trip" many times since that day and colored several pictures for me to hang in my office. 
It is nice having a little time off for the holidays.  I often catch myself looking forward to breaks and making big plans for all of the things I want to do.  In a flash the break is over and I find that I spent far too much time playing words with friends or something else that I can't remember a day later.  Taking 30 minutes to create and experience, or connect with someone you love can make a lasting and powerful memory.  It almost seems like that time is enlarged and captured permanently in my mind.  Today I will take time for what matters. 


3 comments:

  1. When I was a kid I would ask my dad over and over to come out side and play catch with me. He always said no. When I got older I went to the high school drags with a group of friends. He was hurt that I didn't invite him. I understand that he was hurt, but I hope he wasn't surprised.

    My son loves Mine Craft. I cannot stand Mine Craft. I don't have unlimited time to create a world from nothing. He knows I don't like the game. But, 30 minutes playing it with him tells him "You matter more than anything to me at this time. You have two sisters that I have to spend time with, but right now you are my world." When he knows this his confidence sky rockets. His behavior improves. His self image grows. I hope these moments mean he will ask me when he is older.

    Quick funny on the cuss words. A few years ago my then 4 year old called her 7 year old brother a "dummb a$$". My brother was visiting and brought her to me and told me she used that language. I asked her why she would do that. She told me that he was trying to shove her off the trampoline. I looked at her and my brother and said "Sounds like he WAS being a dumb a$$."

    Stay Classy Utah
    Ron Burgandy

    ReplyDelete
  2. While on our drive home my daughter wanted to be reminded of what the S word is. After I told her again what it meant she said, "Ohhhh, like there was a shit on the bed?" I was very proud of her for proper usage in a sentence but it was all I could do to keep a straight face.

    ReplyDelete