Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Yardwork



I take satisfaction from my best efforts

I am feeling a bit weary tonight. It is not the kind of exhaustion I have felt over the past couple of weeks from being sick and having no energy, but instead it is the weariness of having spent 5 hours doing yard work. I did not necessarily begin the task with a positive attitude, but looking back at it now I feel not just weary, but also satisfied with what I got done, and how I went about it. 

Instead of trying to get things done as quickly as possible, or just checking things off a list I focused on staying active, present, and doing things as well as I could. My lawnmower is in the shop for repairs so I reached out for help from a neighbor and borrowed his mower which gave me a nice opportunity to connect. We chatted about our motorcycles for awhile and I learned some things about rides he had taken in the area. Later I took a break to have sandwiches my girls made for a picnic dinner, and talked with a new neighbor who offered to take the branches from a tree I was trimming- I would not have to dispose of them and he could use them for his back yard fire pit. By the time I was ready to call it a day I was both surprised at the amount accomplished and grateful for the acts of kindness that had come along the way. 

I know that I am unlikely to get any recognition, it is doubtful that anybody else will even notice some of the things I did like trimming the bushes around the backside of the house where nobody ever goes. However, I know I did my best and I can quietly recognize myself for having worked hard and accomplished what I set out to do. Having done my best was enough and knowing that brings a certain sense of satisfaction along with the weariness. I will take the time to do things as well as I am able and to be satisfied with knowing that is enough. 

2 comments:

  1. Perhaps you may never get recognition for trimming your bushes, but sometimes personal satisfaction over a job well done can be enough. Plus getting to visit with the neighbors is a good thing too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Until I read this I had never thought about how not present I am when I am doing any type of work around the house. I am of the mindset that I want to get this done as quickly as possible and get on with my real life. That makes any type of work drudgery. I also struggle with teaching my kids how to do the work I am doing because I just want it done. I will try and take more time to be present with them and teach them the value and satisfaction of hard work.

    ReplyDelete