Wednesday, February 13, 2013

One step at a time



All of my energy is focused in the now

Life is complex. There are no easy fixes in my relationships, in the personal problems I face, and even things I take for granted can trip me up if I move too quickly.

My children's knees are rarely without scrapes or bruises. I sometimes wonder how it is that they seem to be constantly falling down? Walking and running is actually an intricately complex process. From the balance mechanism in the inner ear, to a multitude of muscle groups in the body working together, each step is essentially the process of falling forward and then catching and regaining balance. My children know how to walk, but it is when they lose focus that they fall. Usually it involves getting somewhere too quickly, not noticing what is around them, or watching where they have been instead of where they are going.  I have also had plenty of personal experiences of not paying attention to what I am doing.  I have frequently tripped trying to walk up stairs or I run into things as I walk by.  

I can not reach my goals or get where I want to go in one step, by looking behind me, losing focus, or gazing too far ahead. I take each step grounded in the moment.

2 comments:

  1. Ever noticed, when riding a bike, if you turn and look over your left shoulder your bike starts to go that way. This can wind up one of two ways. AS noted in the motorcycle analogy last week it can lead you with clarity and ease around a curve. But, if you are looking behind you it leads you into something you did not even see coming. It is okay to look around, but look forward. Your past is your past, your future is your choice. Love the lessons Clair!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My parents used to tell me I constantly had bruises on my head as a kid because I was too busy looking where I had been instead of where I was going....

      Delete