Monday, November 11, 2013

Taking down walls



I choose vulnerability and connection

The great paradox of all relationships is between the need for connection and the desire for self-protection. There have been moments when I have tried to have them both, but I have come to accept it is impossible. 

The walls I put up to keep myself safe from the harm others can cause, are the same that also keep me trapped and isolated.  That isolation turns to depression and loneliness. I might try to convince myself that if I trust no one I will never be hurt. No matter how much I may try to deny it, I am hard-wired for connection. Relationships bring purpose and meaning to my life and are important in my process of growth.

It takes vulnerability to connect. To let myself be known completely (even the shadowy and broken parts.) It causes me anxiety and fear. I fear that I will be rejected, that I am not good enough, and that I may not be worthy of being loved. Can I trust someone else to meet my needs? 

The paradox is inescapable, but I get to choose. I choose to face the fears with courage. I choose vulnerability in the hope of creating the healthy connections I need in my life.

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEjv-AK5hGrnZAEIAtY4hN6isPQcO8v6WdjyICMyaWKTIuhET89WxqZ4UOLOY9vEGc9q6KkeuVnZjt3YsNoCLsaRDvtL6PY0q1Z3OnU6I5ZRYMksF3OZBlPY2KK90hvY_7SefzT87E23wLJo/s1600/2010-06+Staff+Retreat19.jpg


No comments:

Post a Comment