Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Shoes? I don't need no stinkin shoes!


I am resilient

As a kid I loved playing outside. I did not however love wearing shoes. The consequences of that was that I had a few painful bee-stings, a tetanus shot after stepping on a rusty nail and even a trip to the emergency room after cutting my foot to the bone on some glass in a gutter. I learned some things about safety and caution from those experiences. However, by not wearing shoes I also learned about developing resilience.

Over time my feet developed strong calluses that toughened the skin and allowed me to handle certain things that I wouldn't have experienced had I always worn shoes. Every time I get hurt or fall I have the opportunity to rise again. It may involve tears, pain, disappointment, anger, even self-pity but among all of those powerful emotions I have a choice. I can build internal walls of protection, withdraw from the world and others or I can get up, dust off and keep walking. Each time I fall I will rise with determination, strength, and resilience.

No comments:

Post a Comment